Bauchi State Governor Bala Abdulkadir Mohammed yesterday directed the state Attorney General to commence the prosecution of his predecessors, former governors Isa Yuguda, Muhammed Abdullahi Abubakar and other government officials indicted by the State Asset Recovery Committee for allegedly looting the state’s assets worth over N1 trillion during their tenures.
Mohammed gave the order when he received the report of the committee constituted on July 12 last year to investigate assets and funds allegedly diverted between 2007 and 2019 by his predecessors.
The governor vowed that all government officials indicted by the committee, including the ex-governors, must remain accountable. He said the attorney general will collaborate with some members of the committee to implement the recommendations for the full prosecution of the offenders.
Submitting the report, Acting Chairman of the committee, General Markus Koko Yake (rtd) told the governor that the funds were diverted from the Paris and London clubs, Ecological funds, Universal Basic Education Commission Board (SUBEB), Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) and various loans taken by past administrations.
When contacted, Ali M Ali, media aide to former governor Abubakar, said, “We are not aware of the current gimmick by the incumbent to divert attention from the burning issues of contract scam against him. I will contact my principal and respond appropriately to the new scene of drama.”
On his part, former commissioner of Information in the Isa Yuguda administration, Salisu Barau, said his principal will challenge the report of the committee in a competent court of law for smearing his name.
The post Bauchi gov orders prosecution of Yuguda, Abubakar over alleged looting appeared first on Daily Trust.